Monday, May 16, 2011

Back to Basics - Day 1


After making an absolute glutton of myself filling up on leftovers that would have sadly withered in the fridge during our five days of strictly staples (only in the name of not wasting food, of course...), I awoke this morning with the lasagna I'd eaten at 10p.m. the night previous still filling my belly. I was positive that the task ahead would be an easy one. Energy full after my porridge fill at 10 a.m, I decided I would meander my way to uni by foot. Before setting off on the journey, craving my morning cup of tea, I had a hot water + milk substitute. Still swell. Upon arriving to class, after all that excessive fresh air to my lungs - I now had the excessive Monday yawns. 'Feed me coffee!' My brain begged. I looked in my bag for some kind of hydration to distract the plea, but alas - it was not there. Come 3p.m. the void in my stomach had begun to swell. My usual elation at the close of Monday class was today meshed with urgency - I raced from the building at double pace. No lingering for small talk. I caught my tram just before it pulled away - the ticket-eating machine read 3.01. Another hour, hot water + milk, and inhaled bottle of water later ... the threatening black hole turned to a tiny crevice in my stomach. 2 hours till dinner. I look at the food that fills the bench and resent the amassed starchiness of its contents. Rice? Milk? Potatoes? Porridge? Pasta? My respite is in the shiny green goodness of an apple. I will save this as my midweek saviour from the stodgy supply...

4.25 days to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment